Q&A with author LINDA MORRIS

Please welcome author Linda Morris to the blog for a little Q&A.

Q--Thanks for being here today. Would you please share a short bio about yourself?

A--Thanks for having me. I'm a technical writer/editor by day, romance writer by night, although those roles seem to bleed into each other all the time! I live with my husband and young son, so between work, writing, and being a mom, lots of idle time is not a problem! I have two stories out now. Montana Belle, a western romance, and Forget-Me-Not, a romantic suspense that just released last week. Both are out with The Wild Rose Press.


Q--Do you consider yourself a shy and/or introverted person?

A--Oh, definitely. It's kind of interesting watching my son, who is six and also shy. I really think that it's just part of his make-up from birth, almost, and seems to have been from mine too. It's somehow comforting to know that I can struggle against my shyness and try to keep it from holding me back from things I want to do, but I can't really change it or put an end to it.


Q--In what ways has being shy or introverted hindered your writing career?

A--Hmm, I don't really think it's hindered my writing. Having a story in your head you can escape to is a wonderful thing. It's been more difficult on the promotional end, however. I have a hard time telling other people, "My story is great, you should read it!" It also gives me the willies to think about people I know only casually reading my work, I have to admit. (A good friend reading my work doesn't bother me, and a total stranger reading it, doesn't either, but imagining an acquaintance reading my stuff and drawing conclusions about me kind of bugs me. Hmm, maybe that's more a neuroses than shyness! Hard to tell the difference sometimes.)


Q--In what ways has being shy or introverted helped your writing career?

A--I am a writer in large part because I'm shy. I feel that the "outsider looking in" personality is born to be a writer. If you were always the most popular kid in class, captain of the football team, or head cheerleader, you probably didn't grow up to be a writer. Something about that role of observing is prime training for a writer.


Q--What’s the hardest part of this business for you?

A--Promotion is tough because it's just not in my nature. Time management is really tough. I just need 5-6 more hours in the day and I'll be fine!


Q--Tell me about a time that you had to step outside your comfort zone either in your writing career or in your personal life?

A--Ack. I have an interview scheduled at an Internet radio station devoted to romance novels. I really can't believe that I signed myself up for it. I'm not even really letting myself think about it!


Q--What’s one tip you could share with shy and introverted people that’s helped you?

A--Get older . Approaching forty does have some big pluses: I just don't give as much of a damn about what other people think! I'm not sure I could have published a romance novel in my 20s because I would have worried too much about other people's reactions, like them thinking that romance novels are trashy or something. I still care a little, I guess, but not as much, and certainly not enough to let it stop me from doing what I really want to do.


Q--Where can my readers find you on the web?

A--My blog at http://lindamorriswriter.blogspot.com/. Thanks for having me!


Thanks for the great interview, Linda!

1 comment:

  1. I can identify with your shyness. My discomfiture over being in front of people stems from stuttering, so the thought of self-promotion simply scares me. Thank goodness we can do a lot of it online!!! I, too, was once a technical writer before retiring. Much success to you! Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete